- Qxw, a free (GPL) crossword grid
construction program that runs under Linux and Windows -
features include circular and hex grids, built-in and user-defined answer treatments.
New! Release 20190909 includes non-Roman alphabets, batch mode, multiplex lights, and lots more besides:
- Qat multi-matcher: find sets of words
that simultaneously satisfy given constraints.
Find pairs of words that are single-letter
(or multiple-letter) misprints of one another, words that share
common segments or that differ from one another in specified ways,
words containing the same segments in different orders, and much more:
try it out!
- Qat en français
- Word Matcher, a powerful free on-line dictionary
search for solving crosswords:
try it out! - with
forward and reverse subword matching,
compound patterns and display of unused and excess letters
- Wireless Word Matcher: stuck on the train and
a clue? Free
dictionary search service for
solving crosswords from your mobile ’phone
- Offline SOWPODS checker
- Might paronomastic enigma be artistically expressed in this? (9,7) Composite anagram finder
- Jumble Finder: solve DLM clues and more
- Free WAP games, similar to
Countdown Numbers Game and
Conundrum, for your mobile ’phone
- Playfair Breaker, a free on-line program
to help break Playfair codes using only the ciphertext:
try it now!
- Crux, a free general constraint satisfaction
program for word puzzles:
- UKMAC, a word list for UK cryptic crosswords by Alec McHoul (a.mchoul -at- gmail.com), an
expansion of Ross Beresford’s UKACD;
README file including licensing information and credits (.DOC format)
lists’ of pairs of words differing in a single letter
- Some Quinapalus crossnumbers:
- Try your hand at Glorious Trinity, a
Quinapalus cryptic crossword
- Or My Wife’s Holidays, another one
Crossword fans are recommended to read the
Listen with Others blog, an entertaining romp through the Listener crossword.
Also of interest may be the
which discusses cryptic puzzles from British newspapers.
The Magpie is a monthly
magazine containing a range of advanced crosswords and
of a consistently high standard.
|Screenshot of Qxw
||Triple-checked hex grid created by Crux:
across, down to the left, and down to the right
Automatic fill of irregular grid by Qxw
||8x8 symmetric word square created by Crux:
words read across and down
Grid for a Möbius band crossword created by
Print it out, cut out the grid above, give the strip
half a twist
and join the ends together as shown.
Triple-checked cubical grid created by
run in three perpendicular
More about Qxw
More about Crux
This page most recently updated
Fri 24 Jan 09:36:51 GMT 2020
Qxw is a free (GPL) crossword construction program.
New! Release 20190909
for both Linux and Windows. Non-Roman alphabets, batch mode, multiplex lights,
answer treatments, circular and hex grids, jumbled entries, lots more besides.
If you find this site useful or diverting, please consider a donation to
(a UK registered
charity), to KickAS
(in the US), or to a similar body in your own
All trademarks used are hereby acknowledged.